CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 7, 2007

sometimes i want to be a child again more than anything else in the world -to wake up to my dad cooking breakfast every morning, look forward to peanut butter and jelly every lunch (ok, i still do that), and to be tucked in every night.

there was a book my mom and dad used to read to my brother and me when we were little. well there were alot of books -but one in particular is ingrained in my memory -"a day at the park." it's incredibly simple -a sister and brother leave the house with their mom for a day at the park . with a small hand clasped in her right hand, and another in her left, the mom leads her children out the door, down the sidewalk, across several streets, until they come to the park. the brother and sister (they probably had names, but they aren't coming to me) play all afternoon and after splashing in a water fountain, walk home with towels wrapped tightly around their wet swimsuits. when they get home, the kids change into dry clothes and the mom makes hot tomato soup and warm bread with butter. they have cold ice cream for dessert. then they get into warm pajamas and the dad reads them a bedtime story. after the story, the girl is worried that she won't be able to sleep, but her dad assures her that she will fall asleep and dream about her wonderful day at the park. and she does.

it's that simple.

my life was like that a few years ago (ok, so more like a few decades ago...). it was wonderful. but i didn't realize it at the time. i knew life was good, but i didn't stop to think about it. i miss playing with my brother -taking care of him back when i was a couple heads taller than him. we've traded places in that respect, but we still take care of each other. alot has changed since we were little -we don't make massive marble runs, record christian radio shows, or play "kaleb sees you, you're dead." but we still play games and he still hates losing, and we still jump on the trampoline and sing "i'm the winner under the apple tree." we've also matured a bit, therefore we do more mature things -like talk about religion and cs lewis, share our latest music finds, drink black coffee (ok, mine's more like slightly brown milk), and play hide and seek when we go camping. i guess it's an ok trade -just a bit more complicated.

now, no matter how much i miss being a child, i'm going to do a very adult thing and go to bed because i'm tired. if my dad was here, i know he would pray with me and assure me that i would fall asleep and dream of my wonderful day at...school?

3 comments:

Matt N. Lundquist said...

Amanda - this is great! It's driving me crazy that I can't remember the children's names. I think the boys name was Michael. I'm glad you think deeply and process deeply also. It's a skill that most lack. We don't have the book anymore, but we have the memories. Isn't that what growing up is all about? Love you, mom

Jessica said...

I loved your post and I think you are a wonderful writer. Even though I can't hang out with you right now I enjoy reading about your life and feeling like I am in the loop with whatever is going on with you.

Honestly, I wish for the "good old days" often. It's a lot of work growing up and having to be an adult. Especially now that we have Jeremiah there are days where I just want to go back to when things seemed simpler and were more about me. Selfish, maybe a bit, but hindsight is 20/20 right? I wouldn't change anything, but sometimes I miss the past.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

I have now read all your blogs. However, it took me awhile. The last two have been very touching.

Like you, I have thought about my life a lot, and I have revisited the major themes in my life many times, processing them differently each time, and, thus, gaining new insights.

I have been single 27 years, and I always came home to an empty house. And even though, I liked the neighborhood and my neighbors, I was alone. I went to dances by myself and I came home to be by myself. Of course, my situation was quite different than yours. I had a car and knew my way around. Everyone I interacted with spoke English. I felt like a native. So in many ways, it's unfair for me to compare my years of being alone with yours.

Maybe I could handle it okay, because I have always been alone. Alone, but not lonely. In elementary school, I rode by bike downtown after school to sell magazines. When I returned home, I always ate alone. It was the same in junior high when I shined shoes (mostly with blacks). When I went away to college, I chose to have my own room. So perhaps aloneness is ingrained in me.

I only mention my story, because I know what you are going through. In a way. Some times are harder than others. However, I can guarantee you that "some day these things will be a pleasure to recall." There will be some rocky times and smooth times, but one day, and it will happen before you know it, it will be over, and your will have a whole truckload of experiences and memories that will shape your life forever.

On quite a different note, blog was mentioned in the dance group tonight. Guess who didn't know what it was

Love,
Poppa Chuck